Thursday, July 8, 2010

A Barely Crafty Moment

Hello! Hi! Howarya?

Just wanted to take a moment to share a new project that I had started in the month of June. Over at Pages in Time, a group was started with the name Mail Art. I was intrigued and it read as something very different (to me) and fairly easy. It also read like a great experiment. What could I get away with putting on the outside of an ordinary envelope that would still allow the piece to get to its final destination on time? This is my first attempt:





Since there's also an element of fun surprise, I wanted to wait to share this until I knew it had arrived in Victoria's hands. I know it doesn't look like much. Basically, I sprayed the outside with glimmer mist (for non-scrappers, that's a mixture of inky liquid and mica-ish particles for sparkle) in red, grey and blue. There was plenty extra on my spray-area, so I just flipped it over and blotted up the rest. Once dry, I painted a couple white-spots for addresses; and tried to paint-stamp a flower in the lower left corner. Didn't work too well, did it? Well, one has to start somewhere and I can only improve from here, right?

In time, I'd like to be able to create my own envelopes from the paper I already have and add some more interest into the mix. I also want to explore more with texture and dimension...but I want to read up on Federal Mail regulations to be sure it won't get tossed.

Thanks for taking a moment to look. Hopefully, you got a chance to "Ooh" and "Aah" too.

2 comments:

  1. Great inky envelope. Can't wait to get mine in the mail!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is truly wonderful IRL!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to tell me what you think. I'd like to hear from you.